Sunday, November 26, 2006

TeoChiew Opera



Went to watch teo chew opera v my mum yesterday. Initially we wanted to visit our relatives, who knows none them r at home.. So, we jz went to a temple that has celebration..

When we reached there, we were shocked... cos more than half of the audience were my family members. Uncle, aunt, grandaunt, cousins....... altogether 19.. after a while, my aunt n her family came, adding d number to 24. Then i counted the ppl who r not my relatives. ONLY 12!!!!!
(pict on left shows my family members, pict on the right shows other ppl in front of the stage)

when i was young, i used to go "watch" opera v my mum. Gradually i even knew a few parts of the opera.. haha.. i cant sing well lah.. my mum can really sing, sometimes even better than d actors. She told me wHen she was young, she loved opera till she nearly became an actor of teo chew opera. Luckily she didnt, o else my childhood wud b v the opera troupe...so scary...

besides that, i feel that teochew opera s really a sunset industry..cos all d supporters r 70+, 80+, only my mum n her frens r 50+...slowly they will lose the audience, n then, vanish...

No comments: